Saturday, August 15, 2015

It is Well

It is Well.  It's been one of my favorite hymns since I heard Natalie Grant sing it at a Women of Faith conference some years ago that took my breath away.  I found myself listening to the contemporary version of this song by Bethel Music featuring Kristene Dimarco on Pandora a little over a month ago, thinking how much I liked the version, and how it would be fun to sing. Fast forward and here I am singing it with the worship band this Sunday it's funny how God works. ;)

I find myself singing this at a very appropriate time in my life.  In a time where I am feeling like it might not all be well with my soul.  A time where I feel like I am drowning in the everyday tasks of life.  A time were I am finding trouble knowing where to draw my strength and where to seek guidance.  A time where my frustrations are many and my joys are quickly forgotten.  A time where I feel like the odds are surmounting against me.  A time where I am so caught up in the schedule and busyness of life that I forget to take a minute to to sit...and be well.

It was when I sat to work on my song that it became so clear to me.  The song says, "Through it all, through it all, my eyes are on you.  Through it all, through it all it is well."  My eyes are so trained on what is going on around me that I forget to raise them up to Him.  That phrase, "Have your prayed about it, as much as you have worried about it?" comes to mind.  If I could just keep my eyes on Him, and my thoughts focused on His plans and purpose throughout all this craziness going on around me, then I can be well.

It sounds so easy doesn't it?  I wish it were, but it takes discipline to keep eyes up instead of down.  The things and worries of this world surround us, grab our attention, and entrances us.  It's what they were made to do, but we have to take the stance that we are people in this world and not of it!  It takes work people, the devil makes it so easy to go the other way, to be focused on worldly things and not God.  It's so worth the work though.  I know that in my times of peace and feeling like it really is well with my soul is when I am dedicated to my daily devotionals, taking studies that are teaching and transforming me, talking regularly with my friends who are encouraging and seeking the same path, and just really being in relationship with God.  Seeking Him first.

I always wonder how I fall out of it, but really it only takes one slip, and I am back to my old ways, worrying and stressing, trying to figure things out on my own, and it is not well with my soul.  It's a good thing He never gives up on me.  When I come to me senses, He is always there ready with open arms.

Another lyric in the song says, "So let go my soul, and trust in Him."  That's what I pray for you and for me.  How freeing is that?  Let go and just fall into the arms of God trusting He will catch you...because He will.

It's really simple.  Keep your eyes on God and trust in Him.  It will be well with your soul.

Check out the video of Bethel Music featuring Kristene Dimarco here:

No comments:

Post a Comment