Thursday, April 16, 2015

Throwback Thursday about Good Friday

I was looking back through my facebook and found this "note" from Holy Week of 2009.  I know that Holy Week has come and gone, but we are still celebrating the season of Easter. :)

This post was inspired by my son at our Good Friday service.  The simple, innocent, yet brilliant view of a 4 year old child.

April 10, 2009 - It was funny tonight at the Good Friday service, in the choir, we are singing The Weeping Tree cantata, and as we go through the story of Jesus's crucifixion the pastor's are laying the cloth on the cross, putting the cross of thorns at the top of the cross, and the nails. The final piece the pastors put on are rose petals to symbolize the blood of Christ as he died. Before the final song, the congregation was invited to lay stones at the foot of the cross to symbolize laying down our burden and sin. The pastors also invited to to take us rose petal for remembrance if we would like. I happened to get down from the choir loft at the same time as my son and husband were at the cross. We all laid down our stones, and my son picked up a rose petal. Before we split ways back to our seats, my son grabbed my sleeve and said "Mommy, this is love" is a sing-songy voice as he held up the love petal. In his mind I am sure that he saw a flower petal and you give flowers to those you love. It really struck a chord with me though when he said that b/c it hit me that yes, it is love. It was God's love for us shown through his son's blood on that day. I am not normally this in depth with the things I write, and I usually prefer to stay away from stating my opinions on religion or "witnessing" ( I am a former Lutheran, I can't help it! :) ), but I kept thinking about it all the way home, so I thought I would just put it out there, how my son in his simple observation really brought one of the points of Good Friday home for me. Happy Easter!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment